Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pepsi Free : Week 4

courtesy of my blog: http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/

I'm finding that the hardest time to NOT order soda is at the drive thru. The soda just COMES with the meal. And to order the meal with a bottle of water is MORE money. I need to specify, just hit the water button on the soda fountain, and give me a cup filled with ice and tap water. Which makes me look like a douche.

What I'm trying to say is the Anti-HFCSers have a point that HFCS is hard to moderate. The food service biz is teeming with them pushing the syrup upon you. It's sort of like Idiot Governor's proposed soda tax. He wants it to cost MORE to drink HFCS, in order to encourage you to drink other poisons in your beverages. McDonalds makes it cost effective to drink your daily sugar. I need to watch "Supersize Me" again, and get off the fast food.

I went to dinner at Chili's a few nights ago, and sat at the bar and experienced the awkwardness of just ordering water at a bar. I went to a reception after the SCMEA all-county concert, and was at a party with an open bar, ordering waters. This is the part of the Lenten Fast where you start looking forward to Easter when you can have these things again. I'm also very close to the 30 day mark. Here's where I surpass Morgan Spurlock, and go those extra 10 days.

I'm experiencing light headedness from time to time. I'm noticing that it seems to happen after eating. And I tend to eat carbs. Last physical, my bloodwork came back that I have high Triglycerides, and a high fasting blood sugar level. They warned me that this could be pre-diabetes. That concerns me. Mainly because I love carbs, and don't want to give them up. But also for personal reasons.

Long story short, a teacher here uses her Diabetes as an excuse not to work. When assigned a special project, or a deadline, she "forgets" to eat, and then crashes. Other very disgusting food related incidents have happened. I have been critical of her. I know several diabetics who easily monitor their blood sugar and my wife had gestational diabetes during both pregnancies. I refuse to believe that she has the one type of diabetes that is completely unmanagable.

I keep having the thought that if I develop diabetes, it's like God asking me to put my money where my mouth is. Kind of like all those myths and folk tales where the Gods give you a taste of your own medicine in order to teach you a valuable lesson. Or that segment of Twilight Zone: the Movie where the racist has to live as all the races of people he's bigoted against.

No comments:

Post a Comment