Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thoughts from the Mid-term election.

courtesy of my blog: http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/

My election day goals were met. No Crazy Racist Tea Partiers won. New York stayed, for the most part, Democrat. And I got a real sense that the smart people were voting along with the idiots, and I think we outnumbered them. So, the Dems lost the house. And the Senate is a very fair 50/50... split. I'm pleased. America, you have pleased me.

I INSIST on calling the new speaker of the house John Boner. In what language is B-O-E-H pronounced BAY? No language.

Point of fact, Democrats currently have 52 Senate seats. A month ago, they had 59. They lost 7. AND the Vice President's in charge of it.

With 239 Republican Representatives, they still don't have the 2/3 majority needed to overturn a veto. So, They don't have the power to tell the president his shoe's untied. Let's say they DO vote to overturn the healthcare bill. Passes in the House; doesn't pass the Senate; it doesn't happen. If they were to give LSD to some of the Democrats in the senate, who in turn vote for it, and it DOES pass the Senate; the President vetoes, and they lack the votes needed to overturn the veto. So, the only power they've really gained is the ability to obstruct the Democratic agenda.

I mention this because I sometimes listen to Republican pundits, and they seem to think that they get to have their way now. Hannity even called out the President and gave him some advice: do whatever the Republicans want. Rush Limbaugh scoffed at the labeling of the Republican party as the "Party of No," as if that's not what's happening. If the GOP really want to prove this label as being malarkey, then they need to stop blocking every Democrat bill presented. They need to debate more, and filibuster less. They need to work with the president, not the other way around.

I'm actually excited about the balance of power since Tuesday. Democrats leading the Executive Branch, Republicans for the House, and a near 50/50 split in the Senate. This hypothetically means that the bills that DO become law will be fair and balanced compromises. Just as it should be.

I'll give it a month or so, and let the GOP revel in the fact that it now controls 1/6 or the government. Then they can get back to business. Meanwhile, I'll continue to blog, and hope I reach someone, and spark a dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment