Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Why People Hate Teachers

courtesy of my blog: http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/

Last week, on my week off, I engaged a remarkably stupid woman in a heated debate over the current big issue in Wisconsin, budget cuts to education, and the firing of teachers. It started on Facebook when a friend of mind wrote a status labeling public employees as being lazy, unfirable and overall a waste of money. Some of his facebook friends, including myself, gently clarified that we do, indeed, work hard at our job; that we are NOT unfirable, a common misconception about union protection; and that we are worth the money invested.

Then this woman chimed in, stating that unions, the teacher's union in particular, were "sucking the life out of this country." We challenged her and asked her to clarify her statement, at which time she must have read our profiles, because she began her next tirade with "Ah, ... a teacher...." She then shifted from mindlessly spewing Republican rhetoric to mindlessly spewing epithets at teachers and the whole teaching profession. She cited our "unreasonable demands," mentioned how we "care more about our paychecks than the kids," and a ton of other ridiculous bullshit statements. I was taken aback.

I know why politicians sling mud at teachers and unions; because they are politically trying to garner support for their evil agenda of privatizing every public service; but why would an ordinary citizen hate teachers so much? I know, because the simple minded believe, repeat and follow what they hear on TV without questioning, but I think it may go deeper than that.  The opposition needs to tap into an existing fear or hatred to really drive it home. The PLO had Anti-semitism, the Tea Party has deep seeded racism; what do public education opposers have? I have a theory about this:

Try to remember back when you were a child in school; especially Middle School and High School. Kids HATE teachers! I mean, they give you too much work, won't let you doodle in class, take away your cell phone, never let you have any fun. And of course, as an adolescent, you never take responsibility for your own actions. I didn't fail because I never did my homework and never studied; I failed because Mr. Carp hates me, and has always had it in for me; just because I threw that spitball that one time. I'm not suspended because I cut class; I'm suspended because the principal is a dick who's out to get me. Really, Mom, I didn't do nothin'! Honest!

It's wrong, but it's what you expect from pre-teens and teenagers. To quote Dennis Miller, (or was it Bill Maher?), "Kids are going to do stupid things, and as the adults, it's our job to tell them that those are really stupid things." But most of us normal, intelligent people GROW UP. Usually in college, or when you reach college age, you end up at a crossroads in life where you need to take responsibility for your actions. In fact, sometimes it happens at your High School Graduation, when you see that teacher and shake his hand and say, "Sorry, I was such a pain in the ass."

But some people never grow up. They never mature; never get to the point where they can accept responsibility for their actions; and hold on to the resentment of teachers that they had in High School. Except now, they're the parents of children, whom we have to teach. Now they have a bit of power, and it's payback time!

When the book "A Nation At Risk" was published back in the '80s, it opened up a window. I remember in school, you never questioned the teacher. He or she set the requirements for passing his or her class, and if you met them, you passed, and if not, you failed. They didn't have to prove it, document it; and parents who questioned it would have been overruled. So now, the teacher haters have parental power to file complaints. And they bring it all the way up to their elected officials; from School Board all the way up to Congressman and President. These complaints led to the so-called education reform plans that have come since: America 2000, Goals 2000, No Child Left Behind, and Race to the Top. And they're all based on a similar premise: Kids don't fail because they're failures, they fail because the teachers are lousy, unqualified, and occasionally abusive.

Now I won't lie. There is such a thing as a bad teacher. I've encountered many of them, often vacating the position I took over. But in reality, for every bad teacher out there, there are about 50 good teachers. And we're all getting even better. The one good part of recent Education Reform is that it encourages, allows for, and even demands that districts pay for Staff Development. Teachers, indeed ALL intellectuals, never stop learning. And we study new techniques, we incorporate new technology, we collaborate and discuss approaches, we share lessons; all in the name of becoming better. And I'll tell you a little secret. We hate bad teachers, too. They make us all look bad, and the people teaching the next grade level have to do remedial work to catch those kids up.

Now, fuel the fire of anti-teacher prejudice with resentment of their higher education, jealousy of their time off and "easy hours," and strike the match of political rhetoric, and POW! We have the inferno that is our current situation. And the result... States are cutting funding to school districts, teachers are mercilessly being fired, and public schools replaced with private charter schools, (which are not, repeat, NOT better! But that's another blog.) Teachers feel the resentment from parents; we get micromanaged and harassed by untenured administrators trying to keep their jobs; and it's passed on to the kids, who now don't respect us enough to take our classes seriously. And worst of all... I have to deal with an idiot on Facebook calling me lazy and elitist.

Teachers don't hate your children, people. Teachers became teachers because they care about children and want to impact onto future generations. They may jokingly have a sarcastic attitude towards their job, but they are the most underpaid, underappreciated profession around. They get home at 2:30pm, but their day starts at 6:30am, and they take their work home with them. They get paid more than the average construction worker, but then again, they do have a Master's Degree. You can't intelligently believe that they got into teaching for the money or the "juicy benefits." Teachers Unions had to fight for years to get those benefits and salary. Without Unions, they'd be working in conditions you wouldn't wish upon a prisoner. And these "perks" are constantly in danger of being taken away. Case in point... Wisconsin.

So, hug your teachers. Let them know you appreciate them. And most importantly, let your School Board, Administrators, and State Politicians know you appreciate them. Tell them that public education is a priority in your life, and you demand that Government support it. When budget time comes around, pass it. And like me, if you hear an idiot on Facebook ragging on teachers, let them have a piece of your mind. They desperately need it.

Feel free to link to this blog. http://tinyurl.com/4cpxujq

8 comments:

  1. I came across your blog after having an exhausting "discussion" on Facebook (what is the deal with Facebook teacher-bashers?) with a friend of a friend. The only conclusion I can come to is that he really resents teachers. I don't get it, but I think your theory has something to do with it. Anyway, just wanted to say I had a very similar experience (and I'm not even a teacher!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had that discussion with my father in-law. Even though he sees the time and work I put in, he still thinks that the world is going to hell in a handbasket because of teachers and schools. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! You hit the nail on the head! From a fellow teacher with the same sentiments

    ReplyDelete
  4. Throughout all the arguments, has anyone asked the opinion of a student, someone greatly affected by the work of teachers? I am a sophomore in high school, and I find it highly offensive that you lump all students into the category of lazy and incompetent. As a teacher, you should understand that there are many smart and mature students. On the note of "bad teachers," they don't only hurt good teachers' reputations, they damage the education of students. Why don't other teachers stand up against them? Because as of right now, they don't. Teachers are in school until retirement, but the rest of us aren't and have a limited amount of time. We deserve just as much respect as you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand. I recently left teaching after ten years. The constant cutbacks, layoffs, and general lack of respect from people who think that teachers are the cause of all of society's ills eventually wore me out. Parents who took no responsibility for their children were also a bonus. By the way, I was Teacher of the Year for one year at my school, loved working with many of my students, but the eventual realization that I would have more respect and work less hours at a boring office job just became too tempting. No wonder our country is so rapidly falling behind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so unbelievably true and well-stated. I also agree with all the replies - including the sophomore. I have been teaching for 8 years and just finished a class last period that blamed teachers for being disrespectful, gossipy, and judgmental - not to mention coming here for just one thing: to "slam teaching down their throats, then grab the paycheck and go home". This was one of my more mature and happier sets of 9th graders, but it's clear that their perception has been misguided or their anger is misdirected. The teachers here are fantastic and go well-above and beyond the normal teaching duties to make students happy, comfortable, and safe; as well as assisting the maximum load of students with learning disabilities to pass their classes and graduate on time. It's unreal how good our students have it - and they have no idea.

    "Anonymous sophomore" is right, we should stand up to the "bad teachers", but as I reflected on why I don't, it's not that I'm afraid or don't want to do what's right for the kids, I just never thought of it as I worried about myself staying afloat. At some point, self-preservation kicks in after years and years of standing up for masses of kids only to be stabbed in the back by administration, parents, the government, and sometimes those very kids! I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep fighting, but sometimes it does :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hard to stand up to bad teachers when I'm not really in a position to decide who is bad or not. Plus, I'm not their superior, I'm their peer. Every school kid knows, nothing is more irritating than having one of your classmates boss you around or tell you what to do, as if they were the teacher. Plus, I think it is important to not form a judgement on someone when you have never actually seen them teach. I don't know about you other teachers, but I don't get the opportunity to observe many of my colleagues outside of passing period. I am generally aware of which teachers have more behavior issues than others, but beyond that...? I don't want people making judgements about me when they've never actually seen me teach. I do think it is important for us to not generalize about our students in the same way we don't want them generalizing about us, but it is usually the students who are completely unmotivated or struggle with fitting into the structure of school that absorb most of your time and emotional energy.

    ReplyDelete