Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Music Review: Tim McGraw - Emotional Traffic

If you told me any number of years ago that I'd be writing a blog applauding the excellence of a Tim McGraw album, I'd have told you you were crazy. I've NOT been a fan of his early work, and have out and out HATED some songs of his.

Then, a few years ago, he did a song called, "Live Like You Were Dying." I loved it! It became one of my favorite songs. The rest of the album, not so much. Then he made "Country Strong." 'Nuf said.

So, knowing my "affection" for country music, and my history with this artist, I was skeptical about listening to "Emotional Traffic." Good thing I'm keeping an open mind, because it's really good. I was shocked! I couldn't get my mind around how the guy who brought us "Don't Take the Girl," could record such a great album. Then it hit me.

It's all about the songs. As far as I'm concerned, there are only two kinds of Country songs: Songs that celebrate being a redneck, and songs that celebrate the songwriter. "Emotional Traffic" celebrates the songwriter.

McGraw doesn't just celebrate the country songwriter; there are other pop elements to the songs on this album. Some songs like "Touchdown Jesus" are kinda rednecky, but most of them like "Halo," "Only Human" and "Better Than I Used to Be" include some rock, pop, and even jazz elements. It elevates McGraw's musicianship to another level. I think that's what people call "crossover appeal."

I realize that some fans of pure country music may be offended by my implication that this Country Artist got better when he deviated from Country Music; but for people like me who are typically turned off by excessive twang and songs about being barefoot in a pickup truck, this is a refreshing change of pace.



No comments:

Post a Comment