Friday, March 23, 2012

Music Review: Triosence - Where Time Stands Still

Here's the thing about Jazz... It occurred to me some time ago that because jazz comes from a tradition of improvization, it isn't intended to be lasting. I teach my students, who typically have no tolerance for Jazz, to "Listen in the Now." We tend to listen to music, as consumers, in the past or future.
Past - Does this sound like anything I've heard before? How does this album compare with past albums, or similar artists? Am I familiar with this song, have I heard it somewhere before? I notice this in my own music reviews, I tend to describe new artists by listing the artists they sound like.
Future - Do I want to buy this album? Will I become a fan of this artist? Does this artist have what it takes to become successful? Am I going to eventually get sick of this album? I'm thinking that way as I track through all of the new releases of 2012.
Jazz isn't like that. It's often about what's going on in the music RIGHT NOW. As John Coltrane is riffing away, is he playing skillfully? How about this guy, Miles Davis, is he any good? We aren't meant to fall in love with the improvized solos, because they'll never happen ever again. It's just right now. In fact, true jazz doesn't even rely on memorable melodies. Any skillful composition is merely, to establish a framework around which the players can improvize.

Most Jazz artists are like this. I often run across new releases from Jazz artists where either they improvize to the point where it's pointless to follow the form of the song; or it's so sappily pop-ish (like most smooth jazz) that it's lack of authenticity is intolerable.

The Jazz artists I frequently enjoy; New York Voices, Manhattan Transfer, Spryo Gyra, Bela Fleck; are from a different school of thought altogether. Yes, they are authentically performing jazz music with respect for the form; but they also want the audience to enjoy what they're doing, and to be able to follow it. They joy of listening to these groups is in the arrangements, their focus on melodies and harmony, and their enjoyable, yet brief solos. Some would call this a bastardization of the Jazz tradition, I prefer to think of it as an Evolution.

The German group Triosence is like this. Their new album "Where Time Stands Still" is filled with love songs, relaxing tunes that almost harken back to the era of standards. Although the main group is the three players that make up the rhythm section, their base is enhanced with other instruments and the beautiful local stylings of Sara Gazarek. The songs are relaxing, but still envigorating. Like another favorite of mine, Greg Jasperse, their prefered style of jazz has a constant happy pulse, even when it's a sad and melancholy song.

This album is PERFECT for just putting on and relaxing at home. And if you'd care to listen more actively to the solos and the lyrics of the song, it will not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment