Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thoughts on the Tony Awards.

courtesy of my blog: http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/

Sounds like they have my high school tech crew running sound for this show.

Opening number is OK. Who knew Sean Hayes could play piano so well? Just wish I could hear the singing, and at least nobody got a concussion.

Definition of Irony: Singing "I walk alone.... on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams" with the entire cast all around you.

Million Dollar Quartet: Would be amazing if it were ACTUALLY Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley, and Johnny Cash. Otherwise, what's the difference between this and the "Legends" show in Atlantic City? Tickets to the AC show are about a fifth of the price.

You're not going to get me to come see La Cage Aux Folles if you do the Tony performance using every theatre Cliche in the book! Dancers in the aisle. CHECK. Lead going into the audience and mugging with people in the crowd, CHECK. Bad Singing compensated by flashy staging. CHECK. It's officially community theatre.

Memphis: "If you listen to the beat that's in your soul, you'll never let anyone steal your rock and roll." Really?!!! Best Musical??? Really?!!!! WON BEST SCORE! REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Little Night Music: What gives? Catherine Zeta Jones sounds pissed! Oh. She's supposed to be. Never mind. Seriously, people on facebook were ripping on her, but considering she's ill, that was a great performance. Best Acting of the night, though? Her pretending to be surprised when she won.

Ragtime - Great show... why that song? And why so short?

Fela! - OK.. I take back everything I said about bad singing tonight. I suppose if you're into Afro-beat music, this is the show for you. I'm not, apparently, so no.

Toy Story 3 commercial featuring Hamm, voiced by John Ratzenberger, as a mail carrier. Am I the only one who finds that hysterical?

So far, the best singing was in Come Fly Away. But that was pre-recorded Frank Sinatra. Why do I get the feeling that if Sinatra in his prime was nominated tonight, even HE'D suck?

In memoriam. Very touching. No mention of the American Musical which seems to have died this year, though.

NO! The best performance of the night will NOT be Glee will it? Nevermind,  Lea Michele is singing now. Never before have I actually WISHED for Barbra Steisand. I can't live in a world where Glee trumps Broadway!

American Idiot was the best singing of the night. Most energetic performance. And most retarded dancing!

Can I just say. I went to the Memphis website to check out the score. I listened to three songs from the show, including the dumbass number they did for the awards. It's catchy, but it's hardly R & B. Every song sounds like... Bon Jovi! So they're trying to convince me that in 1950s Memphis, Bon Jovi's music wouldn't be played if it was sung by a Black girl? I see the point. I'm sure they did the best they could? But Seriously, Best Musical???? NO!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment