Friday, June 11, 2010

What's on my mind?

courtesy of my blog: http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/

I haven't blogged in a while. Not because I haven't had any profound thoughts. But really because I've had too many. And not enough that have fully realized into blog entries. So here's my thinking.....
  • I only tend to get angry and depressed when I'm thinking politically. Then after fully realizing my political point of view, I realize that that's exactly what someone in politics wants me to do. They want me to believe that there's only one right side to this issue, and that I need to fight to defend it. And everyone who disagrees is evil. Truth is, if this were ages ago, and there were no mass media, there'd be no real reason for me to care about Israeli forces boarding a ship and having a fight. It doesn't affect my farm, or my immediate family, my life goes on without having an opinion on this subject. The fact that it's on television, and a-holes like Glenn Beck insist that I need to have an opinion on it, makes me feel like I have to choose sides. I don't know anyone in the Middle East. I shouldn't have to care. I realize that I should have empathy for what's going on there. And it's cool that I know about it. Was a time ages ago that I'd never even know that people LIVED in Gaza, let alone believe or disbelieve that they are living in poverty there, or where Gaza was. Often we only have strong opinions because our culture has peer-pressured us into having them.
  • Of the 4 Best Musical Nominees at the Tony Awards, three are Jukebox musicals, a storyline created aroung pre-existing music, and the only original musical is really not that good. The real competition and quality productions are in the Revival of a Musical category. It's a sad time for Broadway.
  • I realized as I watched the students during an assembly devoted to jazz music, that it's not just that they don't know how to behave in an audience, it's that they do not consider this culturally relevant to them. It's as if they believe that African-American cutlure started in the year 2000. If it's not hip-hop or Gangsta, it's not worth their attention. I'm sorry to be blunt, but a room full of African-American and Hispanic children should care about Jazz, the music of their heritage. It's the only distinctly American form of music, and it was created by their ancestors. Without it, they'd be listening to Country and Classical. Not Taylor Swift Country Music either, I mean Bucktoothed, Jugband, Sister-screwing, Country Redneck music. and while we're on the subject....
  • Teabaghers, and so-called "patriots" who try to lecture ME about what America really is need to stop doing so while presenting Bucktoothed, Jugband, Sister-screwing, Country Redneck music. This music is a derivative of old European folksongs, and hasn't changed in centuries. More modern country music has been influenced by Jazz and Rock. True Americans embrace that fact, and in turn embrace African American culture, and in turn have no problem with the African-American in the White House. But then again, I only have that opinion because someone in power keeps showing me ignorant people on the TV, and want me to either be for them or against them.

No comments:

Post a Comment