Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Music Reviews: Favorites of 2011 (So Far)

courtesy of my blog: http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/

I've been pretty consistent for a few weeks now. Listening to all the new releases, and applying my patented screening process to them until the albums that don't annoy me so much emerge.

I've already introduced you to the newest by Michael Daugherty, Randy Montana, and Edie Brickell. Since then, I've been listening and some new gems have emerged.

Charlotte Martin - Dancing on Needles - I nearly skipped this one. It was just such an unfamiliar and interesting riff in the first track, "Any Minute Now," that I was tempted to move on. But there was something about it... I continued to listen. And it grabbed me and wouldn't let go. The rest of the album didn't disappoint. Charlotte Martin is a very talented songwriter, composing in a similar manner as Tori Amos, incorporating her love of interesting piano riffs and unusual keyboard sounds to great effect. What Martin does to great effect is use the arrangements to bring out the emotion in her songs. Most importantly to me, her voice shows off great technique, while using occasional raspiness to convey emotion. God, I love this one. I'm looking forward to more from Charlotte Martin.

I Am Empire - Kings - Last year I was very excited about "This Is War" by 30 Seconds To Mars. "Kings and Queens" was such an amazing track, and I've enjoyed their earlier work, so what could go wrong. Honestly, what went wrong is that towards the end of the album, they reminded me of U2. They made nice use of children's choir, and orchestral elements, but did it too much. I thought a lot about "This Is War" as I listened to "Kings" by the band I Am Empire. Reading about them, I discovered that, like Linkin Park's early work, this band serves one primary function; to allow the front man to vent about his parents. The common theme to much of this album is parents not living up to their expectations, and emotionally, possibly literally, abandoning their child. This guy's voice annoys me in the same way as My Chemical Romance used to. Still, the songs are awesome, melodic, and resemble the music I grew up with... 80s metal. Not the cheesy stuff; the stuff that was really good. Their sound resembles that of 30 Seconds to Mars; and "Kings" becomes what "This Is War" could have been had it not been for overproduction.

Brandon Heath - Leaving Eden - I've been listening to a lot of Christian music lately. Two of my favorite albums from last year are Styper's "Murder By Pride" and MercyMe's "The Generous Mr. Lovewell." Those two are very good. A lot of Christian Pop is...well...not. The problem is that much of the genre has one very simplistic message, focusing on only one facet of faith; usually how awesome God is. I prefer my Christianity a bit deeper, and my pop music to lyrically have some meat on it. Brandon Heath offers music with a more roundabout way of seeing his faith. The title track of "Leaving Eden" doesn't preach, it merely talks about the sadness and sinfulness he sees around him. It IMPLIES that we need God in our lives, without actually ramming it down your throat. Some of his lyrics, such as those in "Only Water" and "The One," are pure poetry. And I think what I like most about it is that it isn't pushing faith on you, the listener; rather, it talks from a very personal perspective. I guess the style of music would be considered Country in the same kind of way that Keith Urban, or Faith Hill are Country. I find it to be more country/pop and thoroughly worth a listen.

The Decemberists - The King is Dead - I saw a hard copy of this CD in Starbucks and laughed when I read one of the reviews stuck on the cover. It said something to the effect of "The King Is Dead" being "better than their previous offerings." I laughed because the last time I heard The Decemberists was on an episode of Austin City Limits, and I really didn't like them. They do folk music, you see; and it was just too, I don't know, folk-y to me. It was nice and all, but it didn't grab me. I laughed because "The King Is Dead" grabbed me and grabbed me hard. The folk music I really enjoy is this kind, the kind based in good songwriting. The compositions are actually quite modern while sticking to folk tradition. It's a really good album, and has redeemed this band in my mind.

I'll keep on listening. And I welcome suggestions from you, dear reader. Did I miss something that wasn't a "Feature" on Napster? Should I seek it out? Let me know. Post a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment