Friday, December 3, 2010

Favorite Music of 2010: Stryper - Murder By Pride

courtesy of my blog: http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/
(Again, technically 2009, but I discovered it this year, and it made an impact.)

1 Corinthians 13:11 reads, "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me." This passage describes Stryper's career perfectly.

When they started out, they were "that Christian Metal band." It was almost a gimmick that got them attention. On their earliest albums, "Soldiers Under Command," "Yellow and Black Attack," and "To Hell With the Devil," their songs were very basic simple praise songs. "God is good. He is Lord. Worship Him." Just like when teaching a child about religion, you don't get too philosophical or deep. You just keep it basic. When they started getting hits with "To Hell..." and "In God We Trust," Stryper pretty much stayed with the same basic formula, straying from their message for an occasional love song like "Honestly," or "All of Me."

Then came "Against The Law." A fitting title, because it's basically their only secular album. The title, the new look for the band - blue and black stripes instead of yellow and black, - and songs about women two-timing them, and picking them up after a gig (they insist "I'm Not That Kind of Guy") made some fans think that they had abandoned their beliefs. The truth is that they were just stretching their songwriting chops. Not being limited to Christian themes freed them to write other kinds of rock songs; BETTER ones. "Against the Law" is probably their best album. Sadly, it didn't sell very well, and they soon broke up. Lead singer Michael Sweet recorded some solo albums and the other band members formed other groups.

They reunited a couple of years ago, or at least Sweet and guitarist Oz Fox did. They recorded two more albums including 2009's "Murder By Pride." I stumbled upon it when I had a hankering for some melodic pop metal, and the band I thought of that was just what I was looking for was Stryper. Problem was, I put "Stryper" into Pandora, and got a channel of Metal Christian bands; not all of whom were good, and not all of whom were in the same genre. So, I went to Napster, and downloaded all the albums I listened to in my youth, as well as "Murder By Pride," curious as to how their new stuff would sound. Sometimes Metal bands from the 80s do not age well. Stryper DID.

The "stretching" that they did on "Against The Law" is now being applied to their Christian music. But although they're back to their roots, their sound and subjects have matured. No longer trite "Praise God" music, but rather music about genuine redemption, the need for forgiveness, and the comfort God gives. No more "He is God- Obey him or Die!!!!" Now, they're singing about the nature of heaven, honest pledges of faith, and more sophisticated philosophical messages. Michael Sweet's voice is still awesome, the choral harmonies are still effective, (especially on their cover of Boston's "Peace of Mind") and the melodies are more interesting, (old Stryper stuck to Half notes, and basic anthems), the guitar work is better, and the lyrics more complex (albeit slightly). Check out the title track, "I Believe," and "Everything." Best three tracks on the album.

A new Stryper album is due this year, and I can't wait. Christian or not, It's a great freakin' album.

1 comment:

  1. Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions

    ReplyDelete