Monday, April 18, 2011

1st Quarter Gone - A Music Review Summary

courtesy of my blog: http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/
As faithful readers know, I decided as a new resolution that I would keep up with the new music that comes out this year. I have an unnatural craving to hear every single new album, song and artist that comes out, and unfortunately, I've heard a lot of them. Maybe it's a megalomaniacal need to be "Mr. Music," or maybe I just love listening to new songs and sounds.

So, I'm committing this year, and so far so good. Tuesdays: I check Napster, (My music service of choice) and preview one track from each new release for that week. If I like that song, I add it to a playlist, and live with it for a while. By that week's end, if I still like it, I download and preview the whole album. Sometimes I love it, most times, it was just not meant to be. If I love it, I will try to write about it here on the blog.

Well, lately I've let it get away from me. I'm up to date, and I don't think I missed anything, but I could be wrong. So let me get my bearings, and just update you with the good stuff that's come out just in the first third of this year so far. (By the way, I'm trying to focus on positive, so no negative reviews, only recommendations.) And in the spirit of twitter, a 5-6 word review. For more details, click the links. In Alphabetical order...

Albums
1,000 Faces - Randy Montana (EP) - Country, but in a good way.
21 - Adele - Nice voice, but also good songs.
Dancing on Needles - Charlotte Martin - Tori Amos with awesome arrangements
Daugherty: Route 66 - Marin Alsop - I should listen to more classical
Echoing Angels - Good, Rocking music; not too preachy
Edie Brickell - Who needs the New Bohemians?
Get Closer - Keith Urban - The "Good songwriting" kind of country
How to Become Clairvoyant - Robbie Robertson - The Band and Lou Reed in one
John Popper and the Duskray Troubadors - Blues for the 21st century
Leaving Eden - Brandon Heath - Christian Music yet very personal
Miss Willie Brown  (EP)- Redneck, but in a good way.
Mission Bell - Amos Lee - Great Songwriting. How'd I miss this?
Psalms Alive - Rob Mathes - WOW, God, I love this guy!
Rare Bird Alert - Steve Martin - Bluegrass, Comedy, and brilliance mixed together
Songs From A Zulu Farm - Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Just for Old MacDonald in Zulu
The Covering - Stryper - Just for the list of covers!
The King Is Dead - The Decemberists - "Better than their previous work."
This is the New Year - Ian Axel - A lot of fun, so there.
Wasted Light - Foo Fighters - Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!!!
What if... - Mr. Big - Remember them? Old, but still rocking.
Young in America - Whitney Duncan (EP) - Country, in a good way... again.


Singles -
A Little Less Comfortable - Carter's Chord - Oh, they mean MORE free in love.
A Man Who Can Dance - Star de Azlan - Her only good country song
Build Us Back/Attention - Know Hope Collective - Powerful Christian Music with a point
Douchebag - Denis Leary - Everything I often think in song.
Gone and Never Coming Back - Melanie Fiona - Surprise, I like R&B done well!
I Won't Give Up - Jana Kramer - I shouldn't like it - I do.
Seek Your Face - Coffey Anderson - Nice tune, Not sure about Album
Summer Rain - Matthew Morrison - Good, Hope it's not from Glee
This Little Light of Mine - Addison Road - Almost better than the spiritual

Still need to preview
Blue Frontier - The Remingtons
Daybreak - Sierra Hull
Madam Adam
Paper Airplane - Allison Krauss and Union Station
So Beautiful or So What - Paul Simon
Striggio: Mass in 40 parts
The Great Divide - Tommy Shaw
The JaneDear Girls
The Unforgiving - Within Temptation

Good thing I did this. I'm actually behind. I better catch up. Stay TUNED!

No comments:

Post a Comment