Saturday, December 31, 2011

12 Days of Christmas - Day 5

Well, my true loves, I got you 5 Golden Rings for today (yesterday) the 5th day of Christmas. Not Gold rings, sadly, but GoldEN rings. See the cost of gold nowadays is just devastating, so I had to get you copper, bronze and brass. So they're goldEN. I hope they don't turn your fingers funny colors.

Anyway, the number 8 Jewel in the crown of the baby Jesus is... White Christmas. It seems to be everyone's opinion that if Bing Crosby isn't singing this song, it's just not worth it. But I challenge that notion, and offer up the Drifters as a clever alternative. I, myself, prefer the doo-wop version to Bing. I can never get around the slow pace of the original song. The falsetto part in the second verse of the doo wop version is priceless and as iconic to me as Bing Crosby's voice is to others.

The number 8 lump of Oxen feces in the manger is.... Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree. This song was a part of a trend from the 50s and 60s, the very first attempt at "Rock" Christmas songs. Most of the picks for worst Christmas songs are also attempts to make a pop music new favorite and sneak it into the pantheon of Holiday classics. It's comforting to know that no matter how WALK-fm has been trying, we haven't been falling for it. Rocking Around, and Jingle Bell Rock, and the like are worse offenders, because in hindsight, we realize that it isn't Rock at all. It's Country! These songs date back to the rockabilly era when rock and roll was really country swing sped up. Connie Francis, one of the least rockin' chicks around, tried to capitalize on the new trend by recording this pop flop, and was very effective for a while. But it hasn't stood the test of time.

I'm in the mood for eggs, how about you? See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment