Saturday, February 18, 2012

Music Review - Nightwish - Imaginaerum

I'm finding that many of the albums I listen to this year aren't necessarily bad, so much as; as it is said, "Meh." Same ol', same ol' pop stuff; usual country twangin' about getting drunk and screwing; typical hip-hop pre-processed drivel. What I'm looking for when I select something to go into MY collection is something original, different, unique. Or if not completely original, something that expresses creativity, emotional authenticity and/or musical complexity. The problem there is that many, many bands and music artists are doing things that have never been done before; but there's a reason why that is... because it's terrible. I'm seeking a unique, original group that is ALSO, for lack of a more eloquent term, GOOD.

When I first looked up the new album from the Finnish metal band Nightwish, I did my usual first song sample. It is a tune called "Taikatalvi." It's a strangely Slavic sounding lullabye. Certainly something I would turn from, but it kinda hinted at being a mere introduction to the album, so I tried out the second track, "Storytime." WOW!

Nightwish infuses heavy metal with virtually EVERY other style of music in the world. And I do mean EVERY other style. "Storytime" brings in orchestral hits to accompany a driving metal riff. Vocalist Anette Olzon's haunting voice, which we didn't hear on "Taikatalvi," croons out a beautiful melody over the musical bedlam underneath it. Then at the Chorus, a quite unique combination of rock and classicism permeates through a seven line refrain. (Talk about unique.)

This was followed by "Ghost River," in which Olzon's beautiful Sarah Brightman-like tone is interrupted by Guitarist/vocalist Marco Hietala's screaming, more metal grunts. Then "Slow, Love, Slow" brings it down into something very light and Jazzy. "I Want My Tears Back" incorporates some Celtic Bagpipe-y accompaniment.

What I'm saying is, in listening to the album, if you suddenly don't like what the band is doing, such as on the truly weird "Scaretale," just track forward, and something awesome will appear. These bizarre changes of pace aren't just to be different either. "Imaginaerum" is intended to be a full length feature film extravaganza. There is a storyline, and those moments of dissonance or frightening horror are to serve the imagery. The final track ends with actual poetic dialogue which you can't help but listen to because of how mesmerized you are by that point in the song.

"Imaginaerum" isn't perfect, a few tracks will be skipped by me often; but it's unique and creative enough to warrant multiple listens on my mp3 player.

No comments:

Post a Comment