Friday, February 26, 2010

HFCS Free Week 1.5

courtesy of my blog: http://cjferrara.blogspot.com

Just updating. I'm kinda dizzy. And very tired. A few theories....
A) I am cutting back on my sugar intake, and my food intake at night. When there is no food in the stomach to feed the body, the body goes to the stored fat, at least that's the plan. Perhaps the dizziness and tiredness is me getting used to the toll on my body.
2.) Perhaps it's HFCS withdrawal. The only sugar I'm taking in is the natural fructose from fruits and veggies, and cane sugar. If HFCS is a toxic substance to which I'm addicted, this is my withdrawal.
D) I'm getting used to the first week back from vacation, and I'm sleep deprived. However, I'm used to this schedule, I never felt tiredness to this extent before. (For the record, I'm not getting killed here, but I'm feeling an effect.)
or
$) Flu's going around. I could be getting sick. Which my not eating at night can't be helping.

I DID do a little research which I'll share. I checked out Wikipedia, and the Corn industry's website , What strikes me is that the Glucose/Fructose content in HFCS is comparable to Table Sugar. The only difference is that Carbon atom joining the Glucose to the Fructose in Sugar, which doesn't exist in HFCS. By the way, it's replaced by Chlorine in Splenda (Sucralose) so if messin' with that cabon atom is bad, why aren't we looking at Splenda?

I'll keep researching, and being hungry. I'll try indulging during the day, so that I'll not be hungry at night. Yeah, good luck with that. Maybe if it IS just an adjustment period, it will pass.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carl,
    My google alert for HFCS picked up your post.
    I also am a musician, Suzuki piano teacher, part-time organist, and novice composer.
    Now to HFCS.
    Please don't be misled by the CRA.
    Some grades of HFCS are quite a bit different than mother nature's
    sucrose with respect to the ratio of fructose:glucose.
    HFCS-55 which sweetens all national brands of soda is
    55%fructose: 45% glucose. This appears to be very close to the the 50:50 ratio in sucrose until you do the math.
    55%/45% = 55/45 = 1.22. This means in every can of Coke (bottled in the USA), there is, compared to glucose, 22% more fructose. What does this mean in everyday terms?
    Drinking 5 cans of HFCS-55 sweetened Coke is equivalent to drinking 4.25 cans of SUCROSE sweetened Coke + 0.75 cans of pure FRUCTOSE sweetened beverage. Considering that the average teen chugs a couple of sodas a day, that is a lot of extra fructose assaulting the liver. I am sure you have done your research and know that it is the fructose moiety that leads to insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, type II diabetes, as well as elevated triglycerides and cardiovascular risk.
    Ditch HFCS, especially HFCS-55
    To your health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cynthia. And I do realize the difference. My question is this.... If soda was sweetened with sucrose, and on top of that you ate enough fruit to give you that same extra amount of Fructose, that wouldn't be considered unhealthy.

    I would submit that eating that much would be gluttonous, and that much of an intake of food in general would not be healthy.

    ReplyDelete