Thursday, September 29, 2011

What I'm Watching (or not) 2011 - Wednesday

courtesy of my blog: http://cjferrara.blogspot.com

We continue my recommendations and rants about the new TV season with Wednesday night's offerings.

Right off the bat, let's get the two "reality" shows out of the way. I have hated Survivor ever since it became clear that it was, indeed, NOT about surviving on a desert island. When Richard Hatch won, not by being the best at camping, hunting and foraging, but rather by being sneaky and "playing the game;" that's when I decided never to watch it again. It also burst the bubble of mystique that surrounds all "reality" shows: the illusion that it is based in "reality." (Thus the word "reality" being in quotes.)

The X-factor is off my list because I already know it's going to suck. How? Because American Idol and America's Got Talent suck. And don't let the change in name, or adjustment of age restrictions fool you, it's the same damned search for the next big over hyped music business failure.

The thing about Criminal Minds and L&O:SVU, is my thing about cop shows. Procedurals like most of these programs bore me, unless they have a cool character, or interesting twist that grabs me. CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, for example has a look and "attitude" about it that drew me in immediately, and no matter how cheesy the plot lines get, I'm hooked, and won't stop watching until the show starts to suck, which hasn't happened yet. I liked Harry's Law at first, but it lost me after a few episodes.

So now, the GOOD stuff.  I knew from the early promos that I would LOVE Up All Night. As a father, I can relate to the experience of being a new parent and the changes that occur in one's life when a baby comes into the picture. What makes this show truly great is the great performances by Christina Applegate, Will Arnett, and Maya Rudolph. Also, it's not entirely about new parenthood, this is just the backdrop for comedy based on these very funny characters. Well done.

On the other hand, Free Agents, is not as great. These characters are not as funny or lovable, and the writing is just too... sitcom-y. The Middle, on the other hand, is very funny, and is also kid friendly enough that my daughters love it. The writing is clever, and the characters are quirky exaggerations of realistic characters. Many families nowadays feel as if they're in the same situations as the Hecks. That's what I love about it. There's a piece of my whole family in every plot line.

I DON'T connect with Modern Family, Suburgatory or Happy Endings. I know, Emmy winner, and ABC favorite, but, to me, not funny. Modern Family's humor is based on stereotype and that wacky humor that killed Cougar Town for me.

Which brings me to the most exciting show of the new season... Revenge. This drama about what is going to be a brilliant revenge plot against a privileged Hamptons family that ruins careers and reputations. Victoria Grayson destroyed Amanda's family by falsely accusing her father of aiding terrorists. She has now changed her name and is back in the Hamptons to systematically destroy each person involved with the plot against her family, including Victoria. The back story is told gradually through flashbacks and you secretly get a nice feeling of catharsis when each of these scumbags get theirs. Very well done, and not to be missed. Sadly, the concept limits the show to one season, unless they pull a "Prison Break" and make Emily help someone else seek revenge against the people who wronged THEM. But I don't see that happening.

Check out past blogs regarding:
Mondays
Tuesdays 

No comments:

Post a Comment