Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What I'm Watching (or not) - Tuesday

courtesy of my blog: http://cjferrara.blogspot.com

Monday's line up is a virtual treasure trove of quality programming. Tuesday is so much easier. With the exception of one very nice show, everything else is crap.

I'm aware that FX's Sons of Anarchy is on Tuesday, and it's apparently very good. I haven't seen it, so SoA is going to be the show I rent on video starting from the first season. If FX would rerun the series between seasons (hint, hint) I would ABSOLUTELY be there, but in the meantime, I'm sticking to network shows.

Tuesday is dominated by "reality" competitions. ABC has the reveal show of Dancing with the Stars, which I could never get into. The whole premise of this show is that we will get people with no talent for dance, and watch them as they embarrass themselves in competition. At least we are told on American Idol that the competitors are SUPPOSED to be good! DWTS is built on the idea that Nancy Grace is going to try to dance, and it's going to be hysterical. One good thing I'll say about the show is that it is consistent with my philosophy: That with hard work, proper instruction, and lots of practice; ANYONE can participate in the arts. I still won't watch it, though.

The Biggest Loser also has a good message to it. I know of several people who use the show as inspiration for their own weight loss. I have nothing bad to say about the show, except that I dislike reality television, ergo, my beliefs forbid my indulgence.

Glee. I am so happy that this might be the last season of this: the bane of my existence. The Glee audience took a while to come around, but are starting to realize what I realized from the get go. This show SUCKS!

NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles are CSI wannabes. I LOVE CSI, and see Miami, NY, and NCIS as being knock offs. I stick to the original!

Unforgettable had an interesting premise, a woman with a perfect memory who remembers absolutely everything. Except for that one traumatic event she can't remember. Oh, and she can't remember stuff right away, she has to really think about it, and she often misses details until the very end when it's dramatically convenient to get that one important clue.... So disappointed.

Parenthood is about a family that I can only stand for a 2-hour movie, but cannot possibly see myself tuning in for 13 episodes. I'm sure the show's good, but it turned me off.

Raising Hope suffers from "Fox sitcom syndrome." It's trying to be original and quirky, and "out there" to the point where it's not really funny. They keep trying, but the only way that formula works is if the show is animated. I don't know; maybe it's the fact that animation separates it from reality enough to allow for the zaniness. Even sitcoms that used this idea effectively like Scrubs, used it in dream sequences to separate it from reality. Fox shows, and other bad sitcoms often go from the premise that this zany world where everything is off the wall is REAL. I don't buy it, which is why I don't buy into shows like the Office, Parks and Rec, Big Bang Theory.

That having been said, I absolutely LOVE The New Girl. Which is strange because Zooey Deschanel usually creeps me out. But she delivers a nice quirky casualness to her awkwardness to this character that grounds her, and makes this a very funny show. The guys she moves in with are also silly, but realistic, and play off each other as if they're actually friends, and genuinely care for their new roommate. And it's written well. I like the show. The formula works here. Do more of that, Fox.

So now, I only need to see Body of Proof. I didn't see the preview mini-season, because honestly, I didn't think I'd like it. But not to dismiss something before learning about it, I will check it out tonight, and see what's up. I'll get back to you on that.

Tomorrow: CSI and REVENGE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment