Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Right Now, At This Moment - Week 11 - Art of Possibility Ch. 7

It's been a while since I wrote a song for the "Possibility project." I checked the calendar. Yep, it's March. That's usually the time that I start to lose focus on major yearly resolutions, projects, and habits. However, I've been saved by the "wildcard" songs from the past two weeks. Now I'm back to work. I have next week off from work to do song 12, and I suspect that song 13 is going to be a classic that I'm repurposing for the project. So, I can play catch up.

Chapter 7 of "Art of Possibility" is about focusing on the Way Things Are. I LOVE THIS IDEA. I believe that so much of what we react to, and get upset about is entirely in our minds. It comes from memories of the past, or assumptions about the future. In the book, Zander recounts a case where a Father and Son are arguing over a contract that would transfer the business from father to son. Negotiations are stalled however, because the father assumes that the son is trying to kick him out of his position and take the company over, while the son is only trying to make a smooth transition. Meanwhile, the son assumes that the father doesn't trust his leadership of the company, when in fact the father is trying to ensure his legacy. Zander gets them past the assumptions by focusing on right now, what's happening NOW?

I thought about conversations I often have with my wife about my disastrous career history, and tendency to make grievous errors in judgement, and her as well. And it's usually helpful to focus on right now. Not bringing up the past or worrying about the future. This week, what's going on?

Right Now At This Moment; Music and Lyrics by Carl J Ferrara

In the past I've hurt you, in the past I've made mistakes.
I've learned a lot about what not to do.
And I know it's hard to trust me, and I guess I had that coming,
After everything that we've been through.
But think of all the times that I've meant every word I had to say
And Right Now, At This Moment I 'm with you and we're OK.

I'm always procrastinating, Staying up the night before,
"Captain Last Minute," yeah, that's me.
I know that makes you nervous, cause you're always jumping the gun,
But we've still got time just wait and see.
And I know sometime there is gonna be that damned piper to pay.
But Right Now, At This Moment nothing's due and we're OK.

Bridge....
Right Now we're still alive.
Right Now we're not in jail.
Right Now we've got enough to tie us over.
Right Now you're in my arms.
Right Now we're in love.
Right Now is a moment to discover.

They say the past is history, The future is a mystery
The present is a gift or so we think
Someday it gonna get us, the other shoe is bound to drop
Disaster's out there, and we're on the brink.
But there isn't any Sabretooth Tiger on our doorstep to escape.
Right Now, At This Moment you are here with me and we're OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment