Monday, January 18, 2010

Earthquakes, and Television

I'm going to try to blog more in 2010. To me, the purpose of a blog is to A) express my opinions creatively and thoughtfully; 2) To Chronicle the events of this year, so that I can look back and remember the events of the past year; and d) to bring a perspective to the table that is different from the usual 2 sided arguement, I often find that my opinion differs form both left AND right.

This week, I see three major issues that would contribute to a blog entry: The Leno/Conan Drama... Which is now over. Conan's out, Leno's in, NBC sucks; The Food Network/Cablevision Drama... We want FN and HGTV back, Cablevision sucks; or the real drama, the Earthquake in Haiti.

My problem is that the Earthquake is a no-brainer. The right way to feel at this moment is sympathy for those lost, or who have lost, and to do what you can to help. Me? Sadly, the best that I can do is donate money to the relief effort, which I have done.

But there's no debate to sort through. There's no Anti-Earthquake/Pro-Earthquake arguement. Who could possibly be Pro-Earthquake? I mean, what kind of a loser idiot would try to imply that the Haitians deserved such a disaster? (Robertson) What kind of heartless bastard would try to politicize it by condemning the president for doing the right thing? (Limbaugh)

So this blog entry is simply to mark the moment, address the issue, and then move on. We will continue to help the relief effort, and try to support people here who have people down there. We will pray, and donate time, and/or money. Just as we should.

No comments:

Post a Comment