Thursday, January 28, 2010

State of the Union 2010

I've never read the healthcare bill, or the stimulus bill, or any piece of legislation for that matter. And guess what, neither have you! So, when blogging about the State of the Union Address from last night, I won't blog about what was accurate or inaccurate, what's good policy or bad policy. There ARE, however, things about last night's speech that I feel I CAN comment on because they are based on what I SAW and HEARD. And they are a part of why I voted for Barack Obama in the first place. Not because I'm a Democrat or a Liberal (I'm not), but because he's running a different kind of approach to politics that I am in favor of.

I loved hearing the President, in the State of the Union, pretty much tell congress to cut the shit. Whether directed at the Fox News Propaganda Machine, or Republicans trying to filibuster or otherwise block real legislation, or Democrats acting smug, I heard mostly, "Let's cut out the politics, the art of getting away with not doing our job, and instead, how about we DO our job!"

I loved that I actually laughed during the State of the Union, and not because the president is a blithering buffoon who can't pronounce "nuclear," but because he was genuinely funny. Bush was supposed to have been the president you can sit down and have a beer with. Turns out, Obama really IS that guy.

I loved how Obama, standing 2 feet away from the Supreme Court, had the balls to call them out on their decision to allow corporations to contribute to election campaigns. I loved the "wait, what now?" look on Ruth Bader Ginsberg's face when he said it, too.

I loved how it started off very somber, acknowledging that things in America are not good right now. And suggested ways to improve things. I loved how the gratuitous standing ovations didn't start until 30 minutes in.

I loved the notion of, "even if you don't believe in the Global Warming Theory, acknowledge the fact that this is where the jobs are going to be, so let's get on board and lead this movement." I, personally, don't believe in the fabricated worldwide disaster that's supposedly going to happen if I don't start driving a hybrid, but I will agree that hybrid cars are useful, helpful, and overall, a good idea.

I loved that there were a few times that were REALLY uncomfortable. Like when he acknowledged that the Democrats are STILL in the majority. Like every time he reminded everyone that it was BUSH who screwed everything up, not him. And like every time he called out the Republitards on their personal attacks. I loved the silence which signaled that we won't applaud that, but we also can't deny it.

To me, that indicated that there were real problems being faced realistically. The State of the Union this year was not a political circle jerk meant to hype everyone up with empty patriotism. Last night it was our leader outlining his plan to move forward, inviting others to work with him, and explaining just how much bullshit he would tolerate.

I also, for the first time in recent memory, was able to sit through the whole thing. I found that I wasn't frustrated by meaningless applause, but rather welcoming of genuine applause. Not angry at imbecilic ranting, but interested in these ideas, even when I didn't agree with or understand them. And most importantly, not mentally numbed by an idiotic illiterate bimbo, but fully engaged by an intelligent, thoughtful speaker.

I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment