Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Favorite Albums of 2012 - Honorable Mention

Well, here we are, another year's gone by... (Oooohhh and I want a BICYCLE!!!!!) A very interesting year in music. I've listened to at least 5 seconds of the first track of nearly EVERY album released this year, and I have to tell you... I'm not impressed.

This is the time of year that everyone does their "Best of" lists, and I've listened to most of the albums on that list, and I have to tell you...  there was some CRAP out this year. And much of it made the top 10!

In my opinion, a band can be innovative, unique, emotive, and create a distinctive sound; but me puking on a litter of cats while a piano falls on all our heads is all those things, but it's not good music! Much of my "Best of" list is music that doesn't do anything really new, these artists do the same thing they've always done, and they do it incredibly well.

I do have some rules, however, no live albums, or greatest hits. And some are at the bottom of my list for just this reason. So... let's count 'em down.

Jimmy Fallon - Blow Your Pants Off - In hindsight, Jimmy Fallon was an inspired choice to take over Late Night when Conan O'brien got screwed. We, the fans, didn't know what to expect, but he delivered. WELL. His comedy relies on references from my generation's youth, and a bit of playful irony. But he builds on his comic strength, musical jokes. If you remember his holiday parodies on SNL, or his mega hit, "Idiot Boyfriend," you have an idea of what to expect from this "Best of Late Night." To get the jokes, you kinda had to be there watching, but still, the randomness of most of this album is just silly enough to be worth listening. This IS one of my faves, but I can't count it. I can't with good conscience tell you that I'd rather listen to a song called "Balls In Your Mouth" than any other song released this year. (Although I kinda would!)

Glen Hansard - Rhythm and Repose - I love Glen Hansard. I love his band "The Swell Season." I LOVE the movie and the musical "Once." And yes, I like this album very much. Only like? yes. Why? As awesome as his music may be, and as emotional his performance, every song starts off mellow and subdued, and then gradually builds to a passionate subdued end. EVERY. Song. In the car, it takes about a minute before I realize the song has even started. Once you're in it, though, it's totally worth it. So, this is a "sit-in-your-living-room-easy-chair-with-headphones-on-and-a-glass-of-courvoisier" type of album. Worth it, worthy of the notoriety Hansard has achieved in recent years, but not for cruising.

Jeffrey Gaines - Live in Europe - This album serves the purpose of many live albums, it introduces new fans to Gaines' music all in one shot. But what's special about this album is the performance. It's just Gaines and a guitar, and his voice, possibly a bass. That's it. The roughness and the simplicity of the arrangement shows off the quality of the songs. He's got a soulful rasp to his voice, and he sings about specific hardships in his life, but with a wisdom of age that waxes philosophical, and without ignoring the audience's enjoyment of the tune. When he releases a studio album of new material, it'll TOTALLY be higher up, but a collection of greats like this gets honorable mention, and several thousand plays on my device.

Tori Amos - Gold Dust - Last year, Tori wrote a classical song cycle called "Night of the Hunter." It made my best of 2011 list, because it was amazing! It must have inspired her to revisit some of her greatest hits in an orchestral setting. You'll find "Silent All These Years," "Yes, Anastasia," "Cloud on My Tongue" and many of her best with new arrangements and performances that send already near perfect music over the top. However, it's technically a greatest hits collection, so I can't include it, although it's one of my favorites.

Starting Tomorrow, We start the countdown of the top 32 Albums of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment