Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Favorite Albums of 2012 - Nos. 16-13

So, what does it benefit these artists to be selected my favorites of the year? Well, It should make them feel good that their excellence is recognized. I also want to toss out into the blogosphere energy directing people to this music. Much of it got lost while the mass media were directing our attention at One Direction and Carly Rae Jepsen.

Personally, I am following every artist on my list on Twitter and Facebook. I'm tagging them via twitter. I'm seeking out Christmas albums from all of them, and playing them wherever I go this holiday season. I may also actually PURCHASE their records! Financially supporting their endeavors.

That having been said, ON with the countdown. (cue cheesy radio tag: "NUMber six TEEEEEEN!")

16. Rascal Flatts - Changed - My regular readers know how I feel about country music. In a nutshell, I favor great songwriting over empty patriotism and redneckiness. I DO have an affinity for Rascal Flatts. Highlights of their career in my book are: Their cover of "Life is a Highway" for the soundtrack to Cars; their guest appearance on CSI; and this album. The sheer catchiness of their music draws me to it, and the perfect blend of pop sensibility and country authenticity.

15. Dave Matthews Band - Away From The World - Dave Matthews Band falls under the heading of "Jam Band." This means they're well known for improvising and riff based tunes. What makes them unique and special is also what makes them good. Matthews is free from pop conventions, and able to focus on creating riffs and melodies that are truly original. Also, the unique instrumentation of the band, including fiddle and sax, creates a truly unique sound that enhances these ditties.

14. Joe Walsh - Analog Man - Walsh is undoubtedly my favorite Eagle. I have fond memories of his music throughout my life; from "Space Age Whiz Kids" to "ILBTs" to "Rocky Mountain Way." On stage, he seems like a curmudgeonly old man, and the song "Analog Man" reflects an old-timey frustration with technology. But he's the real deal, and can still rock like the best of them. "Family" WILL make you cry, unless you have a heart of titanium.

13. Triosence with Sara Gazarek - Where Time Stands Still - Tied with Casey Abrams for Happiest Album of the Year. This German Jazz group plays with such a feel-good ease, you can't help but feel good listening to it. Vocalist Sara Gazerek delivers the beautiful melodies with a relaxed ease that makes it seem simple. Perfect cleaning the house music! (Gazarek also had an album of standards this year: "Blossom and Bee." Worth Checking out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment