Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Favorite Albums of 2012 - Nos. 32-29

First of all, let's be clear. I have 32 favorite albums of the year. The ones the bottom of the list are not my least favorite. They are at 32, only because I can only have one of each 1-31. Understand? All of these are great albums, and my choices at the top of the list ARE, indeed, my favorite favorite. But no disrespect to these highlighted today.

32. Casey Abrams - Casey's music sounds an awful lot like Jason Mraz, but with one major difference, Casey Abrams is not as douche-y. One of the newest members of that elite group, "Truly talented individuals who LOST on American Idol," (He was the bearded guy) this debut album shows off his real talent. Abrams plays nearly all the instruments on this album and sings in a way that makes him seem like a cross between Mraz and Bruno Mars. This also gets my vote for HAPPIEST ALBUM of the year. I double dog dare you to be in a bad mood while these songs are on. Even the saddest song on the record just makes you feel GOOD.
(By the way, I gave "Love is a Four Letter Word" another listen, and truth be told, I like Abrams better. Why? Well, for example, Abram's song, "Stuck in London" switches from 3/4 to 4/4. Mraz has a song called "5/6" on his album that switches between 5/8, 6/8 and even 9/8. Now, I'm a fan of multi-meter, (Rush is coming up soon) But here's the real difference: Abrams switched meters FOR A REASON. It lends itself to the rhythm of the song. Mraz just seems to be showing off the fact that he can do it, and it actually ends up taking away from the song. This is the difference between them for me, Abrams seems more sincere, and Mraz just sounds like a douche.)

31. Rosie Thomas - With Love If Casey Abrams is the happiest album of the year, Rosie's album is the most Melancholy. Which is weird, because she's one of the perkiest, cutest, and funniest people when she's not singing. But all of these songs ring true with remembrance and love, but with that ache of the NEED for love. Her choices in arranging the album are unique, and lend themselves to make the songs more enjoyable. She also just released a holiday album, which I can't wait to hear. You'll just fall in love with her.

30. Eve 6 - Speak in Code - Remember Eve 6? They had that big hit in the 90s with "Inside Out." ("Wanna put my tender heart in a blender?") Well, after 2 or 3 not so popular albums, and a change in personnel, they're back with "Speak in Code." Their website describes them as "pop-punk" but I don't hear that in the music. Their sound on this album resembles '80s pop, and not the chessy kind; rather the kind that was too good to be that popular. I'm a fan of the "nice melody over interesting chord changes" style of songwriting. The tunes are just addictive and infectious. A very enjoyable album.

29. Heart - Fanatic - I'm convinced of it. Heart can do no wrong. Even their '80s Hair-band, Diane Warren loving period kicked ass! This new album is just Ann and Nancy Wilson doing what they do best once again. "Fanatic" is a great mix of songs that remind you they started out as a Led Zeppelin Cover Band; and songs that highlight their beautiful blending harmonies. Like 2010's "Red Velvet Car," all I really need to say is, "Hey, Heart has a new record out!" And the rest should go without saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment