Thursday, December 27, 2012

Favorite Albums of 2012 - Nos 4-1 !!!!

I hope you enjoyed this list of my favorites. To be sure, I'll be listening to them all night New Years Eve, then I start the year anew. I may tweet about the albums I hear as I go.

All of this obsessive activity on my part is to reach one simple goal: for me to have something good to listen to. I also have a desire to champion the greats, and nurture good musicians. To that end, please tweet me, comment, contact me in any way to let me know about good music that's out there.

2013 resolution: To hear more classical stuff. only one truly stands out this year.
Honorable Mention: The King's Singers - Pater Noster: A Choral Reflection on the Lord's Prayer
This King's Singers are a truly amazing classical group who have occasionally boosted their popularity by delving into pop music. When they have done so, the results have ranged from truly inspired to delightfully cheesy.  The fact remains, though, when they do classical music, there is no equal. On this album, they sing an eclectic program of settings of the Lord's Prayer and other sacred texts inspired by the sections of the prayer. It makes me want to find the sheet music to every piece and meditate on the texts as I sing the tenor part along with them. (Maybe that's just me.) I recommend this album to classical music fans, as well as deeply religious people.

4. Nightwish - Imaginaerum - A Warning to all fans of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Listening to Nightwish will make you realize how hacky TSO really are. This Finnish band is my favorite discovery of the year, a prog-rock band who seamlessly meld nearly EVERY style of music into their songs. Imaginaerum is a concept album that is about to spawn a feature film that looks pretty freakin' cool. The plot is about a composer who is lost in his own mind. Through therapy, his dreams come to life and his daughter, who is the therapist, discovers more about her father's history. The tunes range from awesome, to beautiful, to downright frightening. Overall, you'll want to keep listening, and will periodically go back to uncover more.

3. Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball - Bruce has developed a new style of songwriting for himself, one that resembles Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, and the folk singers of yesteryear. Wrecking Ball is the unofficial soundtrack for those suffering from the rough economy. From the new American Anthem, "We Take Care Of Our Own," which reminds politicians that we're supposed to care for those in need; to the heartbreaking "Jack of All Trades" which perfectly mimics every conversation I've had with my wife every time I've lost a job. The songs are a poignant reflection on the economic events of recent years from the perspective of the regular people who are suffering through it.

2. Alan Doyle - Boy on Bridge - A general search for Alan Doyle will also bring up "Alan Doyle and Russell Crowe." Fitting that while his writing partner is hopefully not ruining Les Miserables, Doyle is recording some rough, yet enjoyable music. Imagine the kind of Celtic/Australian/Folksy/Rock music you could probably expect from Crowe, and that's this album from this Canadian singer/songwriter. His songs are tuneful, riff heavy, and passionately sung. Give him a try.

1. Delta Rae - Carry the Fire - Listen to "Morning Comes." Now listen to "Bottom of the River." Kinda makes Lady Antebellum look like the Little Rascals don't it? This album BLEW ME AWAY. First of all, I'm a sucker for harmonies, and this band LIVES for them. Second, I did the celtic spin they put on country music. Finally, the songs are well written. Beyond that, though, they have that certain je ne c'est quoi that makes them unique, and my favorite new band of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment