Friday, December 14, 2012

Favorite Albums of 2012 - Nos. 25-21

Using Rhapsody, I listened to the first track from every new album released each week. (Rhapsody has a "new release" section, plus I subscribe to New Releases Now, which lets me know all the obscure groups that come out every Tuesday.)
When an opening track catches my attention, I listen to it for a while, and then preview the entire album. Sometimes it works out, sometimes, not so much. The albums that I really enjoy are added to a special playlist I have and this becomes my "radio" for the year. So this list of "Best of's" isn't just a culmination, it's wrapping up a year of great tunes.


25. Brandi Carlile - Bear Creek - As the Most Interesting Man in the World might say, "I don't always listen to country music, but when I do, I prefer the REAL THING." Not hyperpatriotic rednecks braggin about how "country" they are; but rather real down home, dirty sounding, barefoot folk music. Brandi Carlile has a great mix of traditional country and modern pop music. It doesn't quite sound like the musicians are missing teeth, but the songs are simple, tuneful, and emotional. Her band is playing their heart out, and that makes this album very rewarding.

24. Sara Watkins - Sun Midnight Sun - The only way you could get more country than Brandi Carlile would be to get rid of the "pop-iness" from the songs. Then you would have Sara Watkins. She's made appearances on A Prarie Home Companion. But she's not doing bluegrass the way her grandpappy used to, she's doing bluegrass the way they SHOULD today. There's a reason why we hold on to traditional music forms like this, and every song on this album reminds you of that.

23. The Endangered - Some folks may be asking, "Hey! Where all the R&B at?" Well, I have to tell you, I'm not really a fan. You see, modern R&B just doesn't impress me much. I've started to develop a distaste for endless riffing over melodies, and imitation hip-hop songwriting. To me, it's a sign of LACK of talent. Which is why I'm so pleasantly surprised by The Endangered. Just when I was starting to think that ALL R&B has lost, well, it's soul; here comes this jazz infused R&B group to remind me of what I love about REAL Rhythm and Blues. It's only an EP, but the talent behind these 6 songs is enough to keep me coming back.

22. Yellowcard - Southern Air - Yellowcard is the kind of name for a band that doesn't distinguish it from others. The music, however, is excellent. The songs have a faux-punk pop sound that's just really enjoyable to listen to. Lots of groups follow this formula and end up being very plastic. These guys do it right, and in a way that yields great results. It'll become one of those albums you can't stop listening to.

21. Blues Traveler - Suzie Cracks the Whip - One of my Favorites from last year was John Popper's solo album with the Duskray Troubadors. On that album, he tried a more traditional country/blues sound. Now he's back with Blues Traveler, and theRrock is back. He also lays back on the harmonica, which has been in danger of being tiresome after about 5 songs in the past. It's more subdued on this album with the focus more on the songwriting. And no, I have no idea what the title means.

No comments:

Post a Comment