Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pepsi Free - The return of the Tri-Glycerides

courtesy of my blog: http://cjferrara.blogspot.com

I know what you've been thinking. "Wow, CJ hasn't blogged in a while, I wonder what ever happened with his HFCS diet." (Please refer to the chronicle...)
http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/2010/02/hfcs-free-week-1.html
http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/2010/02/hfcs-free-week-15.html
http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/2010/03/pepsi-free-week-2.html
http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/2010/03/pepsi-free-week-3.html
http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/2010/03/pepsi-free-week-4.html
http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/2010/03/pepsi-free-final-week.html
http://cjferrara.blogspot.com/2010/04/pepsi-free-epilogue.html

I started out being moderate. One Pepsi a day. An occasional snack at 10ish. Nothing major. But just like I usually do.... I fell off the wagon. HARD.

Now, I was very curious back in April how my change in diet had affected my health. I was actually looking forward to my annual physical. (my last one was 2 years ago.) My doctor informed me that since I'm about to turn 40, I should wait until then. There's a whole OTHER barrage of tests that they do post-40, so why do 2 sets of tests? Thus, I would wait until July for my physical.

I waited until August.

I seemed to be in great health. Everything looked normal. Everything... shall we say... that the doctor... um... FELT... felt normal. Then, I did a blood test. The results came back. My Triglycerides were high. I looked it up for understanding. You know when you eat Carbohydrates, but then don't work them off, and they turn to fat? That fat is a triglyceride. Mine are over 400. More than 200 is considered high. Over 500 is cause for real concern. So, I'm pretty close.

My doctor prescribed Trilipix. You've heard of it. It's that medicine on TV with the commercial with the Triangles. It is supposed to raise my Good Cholesterol, and clear my Bad Cholesterol and my Trigs from my blood. So here's my dilemma. I considered the possibility that I could change absolutely nothing about my lifestyle and just take the Trilipix, and I'd probably get healthier.

Now, a few years ago, I had a scare with my cholesterol levels. My doctor prescribed Vytorin, and I took it. It made me feel kind of crappy. I didn't like it. So, I did some reading about how to reduce my LDLs and raise my HDLs. I stopped taking the Vytorin, and went on a crash diet. I learned a lot about food, and about my own eating habits. AND, without the aid of pharmaceuticals, I lowered my cholesterol. (Hooraaaaaaay!) But then, my Triglycerides started climbing. (Aw, Maaaaaaaan!)

So, I started thinking that I don't want to go on medication again. I want to see about changing my lifestyle again. I mean, I did it for Lent, and ended up feeling GREAT. But carbs are so COOL! AND delicious... What to do? I really should eat healthier, and get more exercise.

So here's what I decided. I'm permanently going back on my Lenten fast diet. 1) I'm SERIOUSLY limiting myself to One Pepsi per day.  2) no snacking after 9pm. 3) take the Trilipix. Hey, it works, right? If I start noticing side effects, I'll call the doctor. and 4) I'm going to consciously move more. Late night walks; more work around the house; parking further away from the mall, so I have to do the long walk to the car; Wii Fit; Rock Band. (the drums are a hell of a workout!)

I just have to psyche myself into sticking to it. What worked for me during Lent was a rather extreme thought: "Dude, Jesus ate NOTHING in the DESERT for 40 days, and STILL battled Satan and won. THEN, He dies for your sins. And you're complaining that you want a piece of cake at 10 O'clock?" When I crash dieted during the Cholesterol Scare: "Sure, you can have those cheese fries. And tomorrow you can DIE!" These very extreme thoughts are ridiculous, but they work. And they create comedy, which lightens the mood. Wish me luck. I want to be healthy.

Good news, though. It's been a week of me doing this, and my pants keep falling down. I need a belt. That's a good sign.

1 comment:

  1. ha, I will test my thought, your post get me some good ideas, it's truly awesome, thanks.

    - Murk

    ReplyDelete