Monday, January 16, 2012

2011 Year in music: Wrap-up Classical and Broadway

So, what have we learned kids? I learned that keeping up with the music scene is a lot of work. I learned that I won't be able to do it in the same way with Rhapsody as I did with Napster. I learned that there's terrible music in every genre, and I learned a lot about what I listen for in music.

In 2012, I will be more consistent, and blog regularly about my findings, rather than cramming them all into a week's worth of blogging. My source material will need to change, as Rhapsody lists their new releases differently than Napster did. I'll try going back to Billboard and WNYC for recommendations.

I will also listen to more Classical music. Some Classical Albums DID stand out last year, and I'd like to talk to you about them.

Tori Amos - Night of Hunters - Yes. Tori Amos. CLASSICAL. This song cycle is VERY classical. The melodies are more challenging, and she chooses a more folk and baroque song form over a pop song form. There's also the chamber orchestra performing background and the duet voice. It's a beautiful piece. The first few tracks are challenging, but go with it, the later part of the story is worth it.

I Fagiolini - Striggio - Mass in 40 parts - ACDA clued me in to this. This Italian choir took on this lesser known piece. Most people know about Tallis' Spem In Allium, the legendary 40 part motet. (At least all classical fans do.) Turns out Tallis wrote that as a reaction to THIS piece by Alessandro Striggio. A Royal in England heard the piece and applauded it as proof that Italian Composers were superior. Well, Tallis couldn't have that, now could he? I Fagiolini performs the Mass, along with other Striggio pieces, and then the Tallis works, for comparison, I guess.

The Best Whiffenpoofs Ever - A Century ago, the Yale Whiffenpoofs started a trend nobody realized was awesome until Fox butchered it and mocked it in a TV show. The ORIGINAL Glee Club finally got pop culture recognition on The Sing-off Season 2, but it earned them a chance to do a full length album. It includes Glee Club standards, kitchy pop songs, and comical novelties alike. What's awesome about them is that they are TRULY a classical group, but it doesn't matter because they treat this "pop" music with respect as real music, and focus on bringing out its true beauty with their voices. I Double Dog Dare all "Gleeks" to give this a try. You'll never watch that infernal show again. MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Reich - WTC 9/11 - Written for the 10th Anniversary of 9/11, Steve Reich composed this haunting piece which incorporates Sirens, 911 calls, and testimony from witnesses and survivors. Reich's thing is talking speech and environmental sounds, finding their natural pitch, and turning that into a melody. It works very well in this piece. It's minimalism, not that there's anything wrong with that. I use it to meditate. Not the 9/11 piece, the other Reich pieces on the album.

And also, After the Tony Awards, last year, I promised a review of the Cast Albums I listened to. I dropped the ball on that one, so let me make it up to you.

Catch Me If You Can. I didn't think I'd like it. I didn't like Hairspray, and the concept seemed too challenging. It totally works. The concept is that Frank Abagnale Jr., in his mind, is a star on a 60s variety show. The music TOTALLY works. The sub-genres of 60s style music fit in with the characters of the different parts of the story. And "Goodbye" is now one of my favorite songs.

How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Harry Potter can SING! And I've seen the movie, and heard the revivals, I think I saw it on Long Island, I never loved it before. I love it now. Something about this production brings out the satire of it. "Coffee Break" is my Mantra.

The Book of Mormon. It's hysterical, it's wrong on many levels, it's vulgar; and it's very well done. If Broadway's downfall is that it favors comedy over substance, it's shows like this that will keep it alive. It's clear that the writers revere theatre as a venue for storytelling. Check it out!

That's it for 2011, now on to newer, bigger and (hopefully) better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previously on "24"