Friday, January 13, 2012

2011 Year in Music - The Year in Rock!

I'm discovering a lot about my personal taste in music through listening to everything, and writing this blog, and what I've discovered is... I love Rock! There's Classical, Country, Folk, Singer/Songwriters, and Broadway on my list also, but really, I'm a rocker at heart.

Rock music in 2011, however, is in decline. It either is so hard and heavy it's obnoxious, or it's gone the way of Nickelback. But fear not... there is hope!

Nickelback's not a great band, but they're not a horrible one either. My description would be that they're a supremely overrated band. They're making rockin' pop music just like any other group; the thing is, other bands do it better.

Black Stone Cherry, for example, had a really good mix of country/rock/metal. Behind it are good songs, though, which makes all the difference. And the lead vocalists's raspy voice sounds natural in this setting, unlike What's-his-name from Nickelback. Their new album, Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, which came out last year, blend hard rocking songs with power ballads. I recommended it for people whom I know used to love rock music, but are swaying towards country at the moment.

Adelita's Way is another group that mimics that pop/metal blend. Their sound on Home School Valedictorian is closer to other groups like Shinedown, or Chevelle. Also on my "nice list" are Pop Evil whose CD, War of Angels, blew me away this year. Their sound is closer to that of Disturbed, but again, a well written song with a good melody, and awesome riffs behind it goes a long way.

Then we get to the real stand-outs.

Chickenfoot III - Why Chickenfoot skipped II, I don't know, but the new album shows that this supergroup is going strong and not going anywhere. I love this band for a good reason: I love Van Halen; which is to say, I love Van HAGAR. I'm probably one of the few people in the world who prefer VH with Sammy Hagar in the lead over David Lee Roth. (I'm also THE only one who appreciated VH with Gary Cherone.) Well, Sammy and Michael Anthony teamed up to form a new band. All they need is a kick ass guitarist to rival Eddie and an awesome drummer to rival Alex, and they can recapture the magic of 5150. Fortunately, they got Guitar legend Joe Satriani and the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith. Their debut album rocked, and the second (third?) album also Rocks HARD. The blend is amazing, and the songwriting is top notch.

Kenny Wayne Shephard - How I Go - I remember when WBAB introduced me to Kenny Wayne Shephard. That was back when they used to play new stuff in addition to classic rock. He was a young guitar prodigy, following in the footsteps of Stevie Ray Vaughn, updating the Blues for the modern rock audience. On "How I Go," he continues just doing what he does best. (How many times have I said that on these lists? Perhaps there is something to the adage "If it ain't broke...")

But the most refreshing change came in the form of a throwback. Rival Sons released their second album last year and it blew me away. Pressure and Time sounds like Led Zeppelin or Cream, or any of the bands from the 60s who defined what rock and roll was. The riffs are unique and the vocals are expressive. The overall sound is unlike anything that's out there today.

Although I tend to be politically and socially liberal, I'm musically Conservative. If you're going to do something new and different, make it good. When no one out there is doing that, I'll stick with the groups that stay true to their roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previously on "24"