Sunday, January 15, 2012

2011 Year in Music: Singers & Songwriters

Another trend I'm finding about my listening habits is... I'm a sucker for a well written song. Musical integrity goes a long way for me. That's probably why I'm especially attracted to singer/songwriters. It's also why I am one.

You may be asking, "Well, if you liked THAT album, what about this other similar artist?" And 9 times out of 10, my response would be yeah, their sounds ARE similar, but the album I chose has better material. To show you what I mean, let's go down my list of the best albums from singers and/or songwriters.

Matthew Morrison - It should be no surprise to anyone who reads me often how I feel about the whole Glee phenomenon. So, I was hesitant to listen to Matthew Morrison's debut album. But, I have to say, it's really good. I have never criticized Morrison's ability to sing. But what makes or breaks this album is his choice of material. From pop/rock classics to cabaret sounding originals, he picked great songs, and therefore, the album really shines. Nine of the 10 tracks are so good that they make up for that one particular cover of the worst version of one of the best songs ever written, "Over the Rainbow."

The Belle Brigade - This duo sounds a lot like a folksier version of Indigo Girls. I was introduced to them as a musical guest on the Conan show. To look at them, they're kinda freaky. But pop their debut album into an mp3 player and just listen, and you'll get caught up in the amazing songwriting, and gorgeous natural sounding harmony.

Matraca Berg - The Dreaming Fields - She's a great singer/songwriter in the classic coffee house/blues tradition. She released yet another album this year called The Speed of Grace, which I have yet to listen to. I'm quite certain, though, that it's going to be as good as the other.

Eric Bibb - Troubador Live. - I have a guideline to my process that I ignore "best ofs" and live albums; this CD is both, but since this is my first hearing of him, I made an exception. I'm glad I did. Bibb spans the gamut at once folksy and pop oriented, then bluesy and awesome. He does the considerate thing of introducing guest players as they come onto the stage adding to the richness of the acoustic sound.

And finally... Lonely Island - Turtleneck and Chain. Just kidding, but what other list am I going to include this hysterical spoof of the idiocy of hip-hop?

Seriously, my pick for the BEST album of the year doesn't go to Adele, or Foo Fighters. I loved both their albums, but absolutely couldn't STOP listening to Charlotte Martin's most recent, Dancing on Needles. The originality and creativity of the songs on this album blew everyone else away. Her style sounds similar to Tori Amos, but similarities end there. The keyboard work drives all the music, and her haunting voice sells the passion behind them. I'll make you the Barry Manilow pledge. Listen to Dancing on Needles, and if it doesn't become one of your favorite albums, I'll give you... something....I don't know what.

Check out my church blog for the best in Christian music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previously on "24"