Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bless me, for I have sinned....

I am here before you to confess. Last evening, I committed a very bad sin, one I promised this year I would never do. And I have regretted that choice all night into this morning.

I ate at Sonic.

You may remember that I resolved this year to stave off fast food, and whenever possible, make my meals from scratch. And I've been good so far. I've been averaging 3 mornings a week swimming before work; Brown bagging lunch, grabbing homemade coffee. I even added a homemade version of my favorite snack, the Starbucks Fruit and Cheese Box. I even started to meet some of my own benchmarks for success - I could lean over and tie my shoes without passing out. Towels would stay tied around my waist after a shower. I looked more muscular than fat. I felt great, all was right with my health.

Then, I left work and had to quickly drive to a professional development meeting. I knew I would have to splurge and grab something to eat for dinner on the way. In my mind, I envisioned a nice sandwich from Panera; or a slice of really good pizza. Then I turned up 231, and there it was.

Now, like most Long Islanders, I've long been curious about Sonic. I saw the advertisements on "Tri-State Area" TV channels, and thought that it looked good. It's a modern take on the old-fashioned Drive-ins from the 50s. They bring the food right out to the car, using waiters on Rollerblades. Too bad Long Island doesn't have a Sonic. The closest one, I believe, was in New Jersey. We all thought, "If only they would open one here, I would love to try it."

Well, there finally is one in Deer Park. And I vowed to keep my promise. I ordered a burger, side of Tater tots, and a coke. And I indulged a little. I also had an order of Jalapeno poppers. Was it worth it? Meh.

First of all the service at the window took about 10 minutes. And I was in a hurry. That would usually be, for me, a sign that the food is being cooked to order; a good sign. The burger was small, and loaded with onions, tomato and lettuce; again, what should have been a good sign. The Tots, well, were Tots; and the poppers, well, were poppers. There was absolutely nothing very special at all about this place.

As I ate, I felt myself fill up. I have felt myself being satisfied with less food at every meal. This time, I over did it. Damn my need for jalapeno goodness! When I got home that night, I took a shower and wrapped a towel around my waist while I shaved. And for the first time in 2 weeks... POP! It happened that fast!!!

This morning, I got up extra early, got to the Y and swam for a good 25 minutes. I was more winded than I have been since I started. The Lifeguard even asked me in mid lap, if I was OK. And finally... how to put this delicately...? The whoopee cushion is inflated and ready to go, if you know what I'm saying.

Every few years, I pass a White Castle, and I have a craving to try one; just to remind myself once again, that I HATE White Castle. I think this experience at Sonic will serve to remind me about my commitment to "slow food." I was not very satisfied by the "meal," I felt like crap afterwards, and worst of all, after just 1 dinner, I reversed some of the good things that I had accomplished this year.

Never again, Sonic! For me you will go the way of Krispy Kreme, White Castle, and Tofu products. And the next time I have Jalapeno Poppers, they will have been made by ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previously on "24"