Monday, January 23, 2012

Newt Gingrich's Three Marriages Mean he Might make a Strong President - Really???!!!

I'd like to publicly respond to a recent blog posting on the Fox News website. Please read the idiotic statements of Dr. Keith Ablow before continuing with my retort.

Done? Good. In the interest of making a compliment sandwich, allow me to applaud Dr. Ablow for a making a very good case. Kind of like sweet talking your significant other into forgiving your most heinous act. It reminds me of that bit Eddie Murphy did about the guy caught in the very act of cheating saying to his girlfriend, "That's RIGHT, I F^*ed her. I MAKE LOVE to you."

I also agree with you. A Candidate's bedroom is none of the voter's business. However, our issue with Gingrich's infidelity is not simply a judgement about his cheating or two divorces. I'm not even going to go into the inappropriateness of cheating and divorcing your wife while she's ill and undergoing treatment. Because THAT'S not what it's about.

The key here is that Gingrich is in very vocal opposition to gay marriage laws, and whenever he discusses them he claims to be protecting the sanctity of marriage. There's some MAJOR hypocrisy there, because it doesn't sound to me like a man who cheats on and then subsequently divorces 2 of his wives holds marriage very sacred at all. On the contrary, it seems as if he's very aware of marriage as a legal contract, and like any contract, it can be negotiated, or nullified.

It's also not about the open marriage thing, because I would actually respect him more if he DID ask for an open marriage, because then, at least, when he engaged in a relationship with another partner, he would have considered his current marriage. As he emphatically denies doing this, because that's what liberal hippie deviants would do; he emphatically reiterates that he cheated on his wife, which is apparently what conservative, values-based decent people do.

Now to your 5 reasons why this is a sign of GOOD character, Dr. Ablow. I must make a few corrections.
1) Three women have met Mr. Gingrich and been so moved by his power, money and influence that they decided they wanted to spend the rest of their lives with him. - I don't believe that if they had known at the start of the relationship how two of them would have ended, that two of them would have gone through with it. Like most relationships that end with infidelity and divorce, Newt didn't woo them with the idea that this was a temporary thing until he meets someone new.

2) Two of these women felt this way even though Mr. Gingrich was already married. - Because they were the other woman. "He doesn't love her, he loves me! I know he's cheating on his current wife, but with me it'll be different."

3 ) Calista married Newt after he cheated on his second wife, whom he married after cheating on his first wife. See above.

Conclusion: When three women want to sign on for life with a man who has cheated on others, I question their judgement. I also admire Calista for being so forgiving. So VERY forgiving. But they aren't running, the scumbag who cheated on two of them is.
4) Two women—Mr. Gingrich’s first two wives—have sat down with him while he delivered to them incredibly painful truths: that he no longer loved them as he did before, that he had fallen in love with other women and that he needed to follow his heart, despite the great price he would pay financially and the risk he would be taking with his reputation. He did this at the most emotionally fragile time of both of their lives.

Conclusion: Newt Gingrich is a heartless bastard who thinks nothing of the women he has hurt, or his responsibilities as a husband and father, and rather is concerned only with himself. This translates in my mind into a president more concerned with his own re-election and political needs that doing what's best for the country and meeting his responsibilities as President. Then, he'll address the nation and deliver to us the incredibly painful truth .

5) Mr. Gingrich’s daughters from his first marriage are among his most vigorous supporters. They obviously adore him and respect him and feel grateful for the kind of father he was. This is most likely because he's their father, and that bond will always be there. Also, time heals ALL wounds. I wonder if Gingrich was running for president immediately after the first divorce, if the children would have the same loyalty. Not to mention that they are both adults, and working on his campaign. Political campaigns aren't personal, they're political. Levi Johnston showed his support of Sarah Palin's campaign - until she lost, and then he left the entire family behind.

I would respect Newt Gingrich immensely if he would speak out and say something to the effect of, "Look, I've made mistakes in my life. I'm the last person who should be talking about the sanctity of marriage, I was unfaithful to two of my wives, and have been married three times. To me, marriage is a contract, and for the following reasons, I believe that the legal right to such a contract should be denied to homosexuals..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previously on "24"