Sunday, January 1, 2012

12 Days of Christmas - Day 7

Happy New Year, my true loves! To celebrate, allow me to reveal to you... Seven Swans a-Swimming! Look at them! Aren't they beautiful? May their performances bring you hours and days of pleasure. Just sitting there. On the water. Swimming. Yeah.

Your number 6 delight of the holiday season is the classic, "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." As wonderful as the original tune is, I think the likes of Bruce Springsteen, The Jackson 5 and the Pointer Sisters elevated the song to a whole new level with the simple addition of the syncopated entrance: "SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAanta Claus of coming to town." It takes the song out of the realm of the standard and jazz classic, and brings it into the modern pop world. The opening ostinato simulates Jingle Bells so nicely and just fills you with cheer.

On the other hand, the number 6 ridiculous pile of swan poop in the pond scum is a truly idiotic song.... It's a Marshmallow World. I was first introduced to this ditty in a easy Big-note collection. I didn't get it then, and I still don't get it. I know, the snow looks like sugar and marshmallows. So? Big Deal! Not worthy of a whole song. The good wintery songs are about sledding, or sleighing, or cuddling with your lover in front of the fire. (Or in the case of "Baby, it's cold outside," Date Rape.) But what are you suggesting; we EAT the snow? I think not. And if you do, you soon realize that it most certainly does NOT taste like marshmallows. I'll pass on this one.

How about some dancing ladies? I'll go get 'em. Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previously on "24"